My name is Arnbjørn Joar Styrkor Marklund. As an experienced music industry professional and MSc in Digital Design & Communication, I specialize within music streaming and consumer behaviour as well as digital trends. I now work as a Business Analyst for the music streaming service WiMP. I love my job.
My life motto: ”Plan for the future because that’s where you are going to spend the rest of your life.”, Mark Twain
01.02.12 – present WiMP: Business Analyst
I tend to have a very business and marketing oriented view on business analytics. This is something I think is well suited for my work at a music streaming service such as WiMP. In my view market knowledge and customer understanding, as well as an in depth understanding of how the music business works (both present and past) is key in order to drive music innovation in the digital world.
Work Experience (past)
01.09.10 – 31.12.11 Universal Music Denmark: Digital Consultant
At Universal Music I consulted within online communication strategies in order to optimize online marketing campaigns. An important aspect of this position was to focus on ROI in relation to CRM and D2C strategies. I also spent a lot of time optimizing the relationship with strategic business partners as well as secure the UMG market share and exposure of all of our artists on popular streaming services such as Spotify and WiMP (key account management).
26.03.09 - 26.09.10 Apollo Music / Apollo Live: Product Manager
Product Manager for Apollo Live, a Scandinavian publisher for library music tailored the A/V-Industry. The company is a division of Apollo Music and based in Copenhagen, Denmark.
01.07.08 – 12.12.08 Vice Music: Marketing Assistant (trainee)
Vice Music is a leading independent record company in the USA. I have had the honor of working on marketing campaigns with bands such as Chromeo, The Streets, Japanese Motors and The Raveonettes. I worked at the New York office.
01.08.07 – 26.03.09 Merger Management: Exploitation & New Media Manager
Primarily worked with online communication & design. Merger Management is based in Copenhagen, Denmark.
01.06.04 – 01.01.07 Grammar Records: Partner
Among working with many quality artists, I did A&R, project management and all promotion and marketing on the debut album of the Norwegian Grammy Award winning artist Marthe Valle. Grammar Records was based in Trondheim, Norway.
26.06.03 – 28.08.07 Marklund Management: Owner
Artist manager for The Lionheart Brothers. Also worked as manager for Silence the Foe and Kenneth Ishak. Tour management and freelance promotion and marketing for artists, festivals and record labels. Marklund Management was based in Trondheim, Norway.
- Speaker on “The future of music consumption and innovation” for research group at Roskilde University, Roskilde (2013)
- Speaker and panel participant/debater at several media & music industry events in Denmark & Norway (2010-2013)
- Guest lecturer in social media marketing at HINT (Høyskolen i Nord Trøndelag) (2011, 2013).
- Guest lecturer in online marketing at Rhythmic Music Conservatory, Copenhagen (2010-2011).
- Guest lecturer on “music in the cloud” at Det Jyske Musikkonservatorium, Århus (2011)
- Management consultant for bands and musicians in Norway and Denmark (2006-2011).
- Shevils – We Walk On Shattered Glass (Digital single, 2013)
- Shevils – Necropolis (Digital EP, 2012)
- Shevils – Is This To Be (Our Lives)? (Digital single, 2012)
- Stina Stjern – s/t (7″ 2008, Digital EP 2011)
- Silence the Foe – Shaking Hallelujah (CD, Digital Album 2006)
- Silence the Foe – Sweet Sweet Suicide (CD, Digital EP, 2003/2004)
- Silence the Foe – Melancholy Street (7″ 2002)
- Silence the Foe – When Summer Turns To Sand (CD 2000/2001, Digital Album 2012)
- Silence the Foe / The Hellbanned Split 7″ (7″ 1999/2000)
2009 – 2011 IT-University, Copenhagen, Denmark: Master of Science in Digital Design and Communication
My master thesis was about playlist marketing and user behaviour in the new music economy.
2006 – 2009 Rhythmic Music Conservatory, Copenhagen, Denmark: Bachelor of Arts in Music Management
My BA paper was about online market tendencies, social media and monetizing.